I'm still getting used to the idea that we're playing for the National Championship in a few weeks. It seems as though we've been struggling since the second half at Auburn, and yet we've done nothing but win since that game. Here are my thoughts on our win over Arkansas in Atlanta last weekend:
- We had our best offensive showing since LSU. Hopefully we've turned a corner and we can take advantage of OSU's soft defense.
- The final score didn't really demonstrate how much we dominated Arkansas. We had four pass interference calls on our defense; two of them kept an Arkansas drive rolling and both of those were terrible calls. Both of those bad calls led to an Arkansas touchdown on the subsequent play. Half of their points were on plays that never should've happened.
- Leak threw two interceptions, but I think both of those were due to Arkansas calling tricky coverage as opposed to Leak making bad decisions. All in all, he played a great game and made good decisions all night.
- Our freshmen had a really big night, which is good news for us in the Championship game. If they show up in Glendale like they did in Atlanta, we're going to be a very dangerous team
- Meyer's fake punt call was probably a "bad" play call, but I love it from a psychological perspective. Our team had lost momentum and we needed something to happen to change the tone of the game. That play was exactly what we needed and it was a very well designed play.
- Wilbur is a fantastic punter and he had another good game on Saturday. It was nice to see him make some big plays to win the SEC Championship, help get us into the National Title game and start erasing the memory of the blocked punt at Auburn. It was also hilarious to see him mock Arkansas' punter at the end of the game.
Now, I just have to see about getting tickets (game and plane) for Glendale. So far, it looks like the trip will cost about $2000 and I'm not sure I want to spend that much money. I'm also not sure I'll forgive myself if I pass on the game and we win.