Women's College Softball will be big
I'm not kidding. I just turned on ESPN, which is currently showing College Softball, and immediately thought, "What are all these pretty girls doing on TV? Oh look, they're playing softball! ... ... ... Softball isn't such a bad sport. Did she just make a diving catch?! ... ... ... She's cute." They even do a bio for each player.
Reasons it will be big:
- There are pretty girls
- The pretty girls look very, very serious, which escalates the unintentional comedy factor and sometimes makes them even prettier
- It's on during the off-season for football and basketball
- The sport gets significant TV time (because of the previous point)
- This seems like the kind of pseudo-cult thing that twenty-something and college guys love
- The game is slow enough that viewers can actually get to know each player
- It's a lot like baseball, but not handicapped by the things that make women's basketball so unwatchable
I'm going to open a Women's College Softball merchandising company now. It would really help if someone made a mocumentary-type movie about Women's College Softball (a la Dodgeball)... I'll start working on that, too.
EDIT: There are even girls who get a running start before they swing, like Happy Gilmore hitting a golf ball! How did I miss this for so long?